12.04.2014

Build coalitions(collaborations) for "Future of Anything"

I was lucky enough to attend a program called "A Better Path from Farm to Fork: Policy Solutions for the Future of Food" at the National Geographic office while in Washington DC.

When opportunity like this comes up I won't pass up. Although I am in cleantech and energy, not in food, my son, sister-in-law, and niece are working in nutrition and food fields. And in a big picture - food, energy, environment - everything is interconnected. Knowing what's going on in other fields won't hurt.

The program was keynoted by U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow who authored 2014 Farm Bill which represented $1 trillion in spending over 10 years. I don't know much about this bill and its implications. But I heard it was a long-stalled bill that passed on a rare bipartisan vote (68-32) this spring while most everything else was gridlocked in Capitol Hill.

"Ability to build coalitions to get things done" is what she is known for, her bio says. That's an undervalued but very much needed ability to improve anything and tackle any problems we face.

No comments:

Post a Comment