10.06.2018

Why speak your mind? 3 - Dr. Ford and Judge Kavanaugh Testimony


We may have a newly confirmed Supreme Court Justice later today.

It's an important position that would undoubtedly affect our country's future direction in many ways.

Getting information directly or as close to the source as possible with the least amount of manipulation/filter is important to me, especially for things with this magnitude of importance. So, I watched the FULL testimony by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ7ovA37u-0

I watched and paid attention to what and how they said.

I believe Dr. Ford was speaking her truth. As much as she could remember for the trauma she experienced as a teenager, that she tried to bury, forget, and move on. She answered the questions as straight as possible. It must have required incredible courage to dig that up, open it to the public to warn us what kind of person we were going to choose as one of our nation's top justices. She was emotional, but I felt the sense of calm strength coming from someone speaking her truth.

Judge Kavanaugh, on the other hand, whined and blamed like two years old. He played the victim. He did not answer questions, instead, he attacked or questioned the questioners, often with sneer. It reminded me immature teenager, far from the distinguished judge he tried to claim who he was.

I am sure I am biased to some degree just like everybody else. But, this is how I felt. And, even someone who knew, worked with, liked, and respected Judge Kavanaugh felt the same way watching the testimony. This person spoke out his opinion knowing career risks. That is admirable.

I Know Brett Kavanaugh, but I Wouldn’t Confirm Him. "This is an article I never imagined myself writing, that I never wanted to write, that I wish I could not write."



No matter how the confirmation result would be, Dr. Ford's testimony gave us the courage to speak out...speak the truth. I suspect, despite all the turmoils she has experienced since her story was out, now she may very well feel relieved knowing she did all she could to stay true to her conscience. 

After 30 years of not being able to speak the truth about my relationship, I'm taking small steps to restart speaking my mind. I feel I'm getting stronger and lighter, slowly but surely. My relationship with others is getting stronger as well. Speaking the truth and trying to understand each other is the first step toward long term relationships with trust and respectIf more and more people do this, how much better our lives can be?


Update: Judge Kavanaugh has been confirmed by the senate. Let's...At least, I will keep my eye open, speak my truth, and stay strong. Hope you do, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment